A surrogacy attorney plays a vital role in your surrogacy team. The surrogacy process is complicated and has many legal implications, so taking the required steps to protect yourself is essential. The legal process includes the rights of both the intended parents and the surrogate. Whether you’re looking to become a surrogate or searching for one to help start a family, when you work with a reputable agency, your support team can help to connect you with an appropriate surrogacy lawyer for your state.
What Does a Surrogacy Attorney Do?
Whether you choose to partner with a surrogacy agency or not, you will need to retain a surrogacy lawyer to ensure that the legal aspects are appropriately handled.
The legal services you will need include:
- Drafting the surrogacy contract includes the rights and responsibilities for both intended parents and the surrogate, as well as compensation.
- Ensuring that the intended parents’ names appear on the baby’s birth certificate
- Navigating the specific surrogacy laws and regulations where both parties live.
When you take the time and choose the right surrogacy lawyer, you’ll know that your rights and interests are well protected.
How to Find the Best Surrogacy Lawyer?
Because state laws determine the legal requirements needed to complete the surrogacy contract, you will need to delay selecting an attorney until after finding a match.
Both parties must have an attorney to protect their interests. The two lawyers will work together to ensure that the final contract meets the needs of everyone concerned. Your surrogacy agency will likely have recommendations to help you choose your legal representation. Be sure to find out information such as:
- How many surrogacy cases do you handle each year?
- How many years of experience do you have working in the surrogacy field?
- Are you authorized to work in the state we live in?
- How much will our surrogacy contract cost, and what services are included?
If you work with an agency, you can expect to receive referrals for vetted, highly qualified lawyers, and they may also help coordinate aspects of the legal process for you.
Let Family Creations Help You!
The staff at Family Creations understands that surrogacy can seem complicated at first. That’s why we offer our clients the support and legal connections they need to have the most positive experience possible. Please contact us with any questions. We look forward to working with you to create a loving family!